photo Banner.jpg

February 11, 2013

Turquoise Buffet Makeover

I painted my buffet many months ago…I know, I’m bad. My problem is that I just haven’t been able to find those perfect items to put on top of it. I’ve searched the stores and nothing pops out to me. That’s why I’ve hesitated revealing the makeover. I decided I couldn’t wait any longer though so I’m sharing it despite the lack of perfect accessories.

It took forever for me to find a buffet that I liked. Then one day, while searching craigslist, I found this beauty and then scurried my eyes across the screen to find the price while crossing my fingers that it wasn’t out of my budget. $45!!! I let out a tiny squeal of excitement and immediately contacted the seller and set up a time to go check it out/pick it up. This is how she looked when I found her. SONY DSC It actually had all the handles, just one was in the drawer. that was a major selling point because often pieces with those handles have one or two that are broken/missing. I know what you thinking though…how could I have gotten rid of the incredible marble effect? Well let me tell you…it was EASY!

This piece is pretty heavy and definitely a solid piece of furniture…minus the two curvy legs…those were plastic. It also had a thick polyurethane layer on the top that was old, chipped, and easily flaked. SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSC I sanded the top until the polyurethane was level with the wood and could no longer chip off and sanded the rest of the buffet.SONY DSC  Then, using Glidden’s Gripper in white, I primed the entire thing.SONY DSCSONY DSC I did light sanding in between coats of primer.
I knew I wanted a light turquoise color but after priming it, I fell in love with the white. The compromise was to have the top white and the rest turquoise with white handles and white legs. I think it was a pretty great compromise. SONY DSCI love the legs! 

For the legs, top, and handles I used Krylon’s Satin White. The turquoise color was harder for me to decide on. I didn’t like anything at Lowes and Home Depot…they were either too blue or green or gray. I finally found this color at Ace Hardware. SONY DSC The second I brushed it over the buffet, I knew it was perfection. Needless to say, I’m kind of in love with the newest addition to our dining room. SONY DSC I kept all the original handles except the two knobs and replaced those with crystal ones found at Hobby Lobby for 50% off.  SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSC The lamps were a Christmas present from my parents. I had seen them at HomeGoods just a couple days before Christmas and immediately sent my Mom a picture (she’s my go to opinion gal…along with Laryssa). I had to pretty much drag myself by the ear out of the store without them and just had to tell myself that I would go back after Christmas and get them. It was quite the surprise to receive both lamps for Christmas. Love my Parents!SONY DSCI know I’d like to do something with the shades, I just haven’t figured out what that thing is yet.
For now the buffet holds a few small accessories, our chore chart (yes, we I have a chore chart…helps to keep the house clean), and our “What A Difference A Day Makes” print art.SONY DSC I’m so thrilled with how it turned out. I love the delicate touches of white! SONY DSC 

Jtag-300

2 comments:

  1. I love it! It came out so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooo cute!!! I didn't see this before. I love love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...